Sunday, August 20, 2006


1.19. Time-Concept-Energy-Binding --
Through The Humanistic-Existential Dialectic



I believe that there is something seriously proufound in this essay of which I will take little credit. I am the 'ideological chemist or mediator' if you will or the 'dialectical shaman'. I like nothing better than to weave my way back into time, weave my way through time, and find 'magical potions' in the form of ideas in the deepest recesses and caverns of time. I search out and bring together magical ideas so that they can 'touch' each other -- sometimes for the first time -- make contact with each other in ways which they perhaps never have made contact with each other before, adding to their healing and/or the enlightening powers -- each in it own and respective right -- by combining these ideas together into a new and perhaps even greater healing and enlightening 'gestalt-formation'. I borrow the concept of the too unknown but brilliant linguist-semanticist-scientist-mathematician-philosopher -- Alfred Koryzybski -- to describe this process (or my rendition of it); he called it 'time-binding'. Indeed, time-binding is perhaps man's greatest evolutionary asset -- the ability to learn, to remember, to write down or otherwise pass down using language as the 'time-binding' agent that allows us to pass down our individual and collective wisdoms through the ages so that the generations that follow us can build from our shoulders.

'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.'
-- Isaac Newton



My idea -- my ideological ideal -- is to bring as many of these great ideas, these great thinkers, and these great people under one ideological roof -- call it the 'dialectical roof' -- to share in the glories of their great ideas, and to mix these ideas together -- philosophically 'dance' with them, integrate them, 'cross-fertilize' them. The name that I give to this dialectical roof and all of the great ideas, the great thinkers, and the great people that I plan to bring together under this roof is -- 'Hegel's Hotel'.


The first piece of ideological gold that I found in the history-philosophy books that I want to share with you -- it actually took me a good two or three decades to find it -- is a piece of philosophy that has a very poetic, mystical, msterious profound ring to it . Many philosophical experts and students alike have looked at it, interpreted it, torn it and reduced it to even smaller pieces than it is -- and then tried to put it back together again (like Humpty Dumpty). The philosophical piece by the man who is generally considered to be our second oldest Western (ancient Greek) philosopher is called -- Anaxamander's Fragment (Anaxamander, 610-546 B.C)

Whence things have their origin,
Thence also their destruction happens,
As is the order of things;
For they execute the sentence upon one another
- The condemnation for the crime -
In conformity with the ordinance of Time.


Now it is easy to over-interpret something like this, to perhaps put more wisdom into it than properly belongs. In the process, turn a philosopher into a saint -- or even a God.

But I cannot leave this passage alone. I am transfixed by it -- as Nietzsche would say -- intoxicated by it. It grabs me, it shakes me, it will not leave me alone. I have to keep coming back to it.

Call me hallucinatory if you will, but I look at this passage and I see the beginning of Western Dialectic Philosophy. I see the first -- and one of the most important -- entries into Hegel's Hotel. I see the begiining -- the roots -- of Hegel. These roots would have a long way to travel before they got to Hegel -- through Heraclitus (The Riddler and the second Dialectic (Polarity) Philosopher, through the Sophists (the first set of formal, relativist, Deconstructionists -- today you would call them 'lawyers'), Socrates (the second major Deconstructionist -- more ethical and more idealistic than the more pragmatic, cynical Sophists), through Plato, through Aristotle, gradually spreading and spiralling its philosophical roots through the Scholasitic (religous, philosophical) Period, through the Enlightenment -- finally getting to Fichte, and then to Hegel. Then exploding outward through Hegel to Marx, Nietzsche, Freud, Jung, Perls, Derrida -- and coutless political, legal, business, economic, scientific, medical, relgious, and artistic expressions -- 'Good' against 'Evil', 'Black 'against 'White', 'Religous' against 'Scientific', 'Left' against 'Right', 'Masculine' against 'Feminism', 'East' agaisnt 'West', 'Orthodox' against 'Unorthodox', 'Dominant' vs. 'Suppressed', 'Heterosexual' vs. 'Homosexual'...'Either/Or', 'Tit for tat'... I could go on and on.

The passage by Anaxamander, in my opinion, could have easily been written by someone living in Lebanon or Israel. The very human cost of human destructionsism and self-destructionism -- man's 'Will To Power' at its worst.

I don't know much about the history of Ancient Greek but I do know enough to know that the people lived in what have been called 'city-states' with the politics of each city-state being different. 'Different' is the crucial, operative word here -- it always has been thoughout human history. Intolerance of difference. People not letting other people be different. Intolerance leads to hate -- racism and discrimination -- and hate through these passages leads to war. Sparta invading Athens. Athens turning around and invading Sparta. Each city-state upping the ante. The weak coming back stronger and the strong coming back weaker. The victim becoming the victimizer and the victimizer becoming the victim. Trading sides in the continual battle for war supremacy. Losing but learning from one's mistakes and coming back better prepared when the victor least expects it -- to overthrow the victor. It is easier to 'conquer' a land than it is to try to 'keep' it. The loser coming back stronger than before -- better prepared to win a war that they previously lost -- from submission to dominance and then back to submission again as the pendulum of 'cosmic justice' keeps swinging back and forth from victor to loser and back again 'in conformity with the ordinance of Time'.

Anaxamander's pasage -- perhaps cynically written, in my humble opinion -- is a statement of fatalistic, deterministic, dialectical, often violent, cosmic, and particularly human, justice. An eye for an eye. For every extreme action -- for every evil action -- there is going to be an equal and opposite, often escalated, reaction. If you live in a world of frontier justice -- which war definitely is (where police and courts and democracy and rights are no longer relevant; only soldiers, war strategy, and firepower) -- and you kill someone who is 'different' than you, on the 'other' side -- you can bet your bottom dollar that there is a very good chance that someone who loved the person you killed is going to come back and try to even the score. The more you kill -- assuming you can morally live with your actions -- the more you have to worry about the friends, the family, and the descendents of the people you killed. Live by the sword; die by the sword. What goes around comes around.



'Victory breeds hatred, for the conquered is unhappy.'


I read about the politician who said he 'didn't care about civilian deaths' -- and I feel sick to my stomach. I think of Bob Dylan's song, 'The Masters of War'.


Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead


Copyright © 1963; renewed 1991 Special Rider Music


There are two ways the dialectic can play itself out -- through 'the will to power' which if it is not attached to the thill of competing in a sporting or game challenge, and/or not attached to the 'will to excellence in human achievement (partnered with human compassion), then it is probably a 'negative' will to power that is played out through the worst of human nature -- narcissism (selfishness) and greed and 'territorialness' and coercion, and manipulation, and hate, and force, and violence.


I think Anaxamander saw all this in human nature -- he saw how 'what goes around comes around'. He saw how 'black' and 'white' originated from the same 'Universal Souce' -- he called it 'The Boundless'. He saw how 'The Boundless Universe' differentiated into 'polar differences', 'polar opposites', 'polar extremes'... They would separate from each other, then collide with each other, each striving for total, universal dominance, and perhaps partly getting there, feeling the thrill of temporary victory, only to be eventually thwarted, brought back into line again, held back in check again, by the inevitable, rising polar strength of the opposite characteristic coming back into play again, toppling the victor off its pedestal, to take its place, but again, only temporarily again, as the cosmic pendulum of justice swings back and forth again 'in conformity with the ordinace of Time'.

Hegel -- to what extent he may or may not have been familiar with Anaxamander I don't know -- bought into Anaxamander's logic completely giving the dialectic a 'deterministic, fatalistic, inevitable clout to it' -- regardless if the dialectic is playing itself out in peace or war. And furthermore, Hegel assumed that the inevitable end to the 'determinsitic, forceful dialectic' -- regardless of how violent it is -- will be a solution that inevitablly takes man to 'The Absolute' -- and to God.

I am not nearly this optimistic in terms of the inevitable outcome of the 'forceful, violent' acting out of the dialectic in human affairs. Indeed, I am much more cynical in terms of the capability of man for ultimate destruction and self-destruction -- before he gets to any kind of ultimate 'Awareness', 'Consciousness', and 'God-like Knowledge'.

Freud viewed the ultimate acting out of man's 'positive' dialectical characteristics (debate, democracy, diplomacy, humanistic negotiation) with man's 'negative' dialectical features ('will to power', war, force, manipulation, violence, destruction and self-destruction) as the conflict between man's 'life' and 'death' instinct.

I don't look at this conflict as being one between two different sets of 'instincts'. I view it -- existentially -- as being one between two different sets of choices: 'life' choices vs. 'death' choices -- narcissistic, will to power, ignorance of human compassion, choices vs. humanistic-existential choices that build from a healthy 'homeostatic balance' between human compassion and human accountabllity.

Without a balanced leger of human compassion and human accounatability, we may indeed get to God sooner than we want to -- but it may be through a nuclear holocaust or through polluting the world we live in until it can no longer support us.

db, August 21st, 2006.




No comments: